The permission to compete as well as the starting order is usually determined by the results of the sprint race which takes place beforehand, but is sometimes also based on the individual competition. The spectators are engrossed in the race because they can always see exactly who is in the lead. The psychological aspect of the athletes being in pursuit of each other plays a significant role.
- 60 athletes compete in World Cup pursuit races
- The winner of the qualifying race (either the sprint or the individual race) starts first
- Four shooting bouts: prone – prone – standing – standing
- Outstripped competitors must exit the race immediately
- Whoever crosses the finish line first is the winner, provided that no time penalties or credits were awarded